Section Manager Mining
- Job Number:
- Business Unit / Group Function:
- De Beers Group
- Work type:
- Full Time Permanent
- Venetia Mine
PURPOSE AND ROLE IN THE BUSINESS:
Manages mining processes related to Load and Haul, Drilling, Construction and Bench preparation for the mine.
Section Manager- Mining 20180514.pdf
KEY RESULT AREAS:
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Manage mining processes safely, efficiently and cost effectively to meet short term and long term production objectives.
- Manage resources to deliver section business targets including quality and volume.
- Ensures compliance with all relevant legal, environmental, occupational health and safety and risk management standards and leading practices.
- Develops, mentors and motivates effective management, maintenance and operational teams.
- Establishes and maintains strong relationships with relevant stakeholders.
- Contributes to continuous improvement and asset optimisation initiatives for mining processes.
- Designs efficient production processes to ensure optimal and economical resource utilisation.
- Identifies barriers to effective production performance. Recommends and implements solutions.
- Identifies and applies new technologies to support efficient mine operations and business growth.
- Monitors, measures, analyses and improves quantity and quality of mine production.
- Monitors and improves safety, production costs and labour efficiencies.
- Implements projects within planned timescales and budgets.
- Manages relevant contractors effectively.
- Experience in applying and implementing best practice principles across the value chain.
- Knowledge of safety policies, procedures and the important role of consistently demonstrating required behaviours and championing safety values.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of open pit mining software and planning processes.
- Applies a systematic, knowledge-based problem-solving approach and structured methodologies (such as root cause analysis and statistical analysis) to investigate risks and opportunities to create effective, value-add technical solutions.
- Undertakes technical analysis activities in own area. Collects and assesses evidence, generates and evaluates options and shares recommendations.
- Applies an in-depth understanding of the mining value chain to identify and execute on opportunities where technical expertise can enhance business performance.
- Engages cross-functional teams to share best practice, ensuring technical excellence and sustainable commercial decisions.
- Understands the processes, working culture and challenges associated with the business.
- Drives the delivery of technical solutions in projects and operations by demonstrating project management skills and active resource management, including effective Control of budgets, deliverables, staff and contracts.
- Effectively applies project and resource management tools and techniques within own role. Adheres to standards and recommended practices.
- Predict and prepare for the impact of potential changes, decisions or outcomes on the behaviour of the workforce and stakeholders.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: (Education & Experience)
- Grade 12 certificate or relevant NQF level 4 qualifications.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in Engineering (Mining).
- Mine Manager’s Certificate of Competency.
- At least 5 years post graduate experience in an Open Pit mining environment with combined responsibility across the entire value chain (Load & Haul, Drilling, Bench Prep and Construction)
- Experience in the Planning Department is preferential.
- 5 years relevant experience in a Mining Management Role, Technical knowledge of open pit mining operations and processes.
- Technical knowledge of open pit mining operations and processes.
- Valid EB/Code 08 Drivers License.
- Successfully obtain a Red Ticket (Medical Fitness certificate) on mine.
- Your consideration for employment is subject to your SAPS Criminal Record verification and qualifications verification.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly and effectively, both verbally and in written/presentation form.
- Resilience and the ability to adapt to change and deal with some degree of ambiguity.
- Must be able to work without supervision and be part of a team.
- High problem solving ability.
- Drives personal accountability and accountability within the team.
- Instills a culture of disciplined execution.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of hazard identification and risk assessment principles and ability to implement effective controls to manage risks within the section.
- Sound knowledge of mining disciplines and machinery.
- Good understanding of BI principles and the ability to effectively implement them within the section.
- For internal applicants, strictly complete an internal application form and attach detailed CV. You are required to attain your immediate line manager and Head of Department signature on your application form.
- Preference will be given to HDSA candidates and consideration will be given to the company’s Employment Equity Policy and Labour Plan.
- External search: Yes/No
- Secondment terms: Yes/No
Submit applications on or before the closing date to:
Should you not have heard from the HR Department four weeks after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
Closing Date: 29 May 2018
Advertised: South Africa Standard Time
Applications close: South Africa Standard Time
Back Apply now