Legal Manager - Singapore
- Job Number:
- Business Unit / Group Function:
- Group Finance
- Work type:
- Full Time Permanent
About Anglo American
Anglo American is a global diversified mining business. As a responsible miner – of diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore, coal and nickel – we are the custodians of what are precious natural resources. Our portfolio of world-class mining operations provides the metals and minerals that make modern life possible. We use innovative practices and the latest technologies to discover new resources and mine, process, move and market our products to our customers around the world whilst ensuring rigorous safety standards are demonstrated. Our global Marketing business unit headquartered in Singapore ensures that we sustainably maximise cash flows from the marketing of Anglo American’s products and services.
About the role
You will be responsible for (i) the legal management of compliance and regulatory risk for the Marketing Business Unit on a global scale; (ii) leading and managing Group Legal’s support to the Marketing business in regulatory matters; and (iii) developing in conjunction with the internal compliance team a fit for purpose compliance framework for the Marketing business. This includes providing day to day advice on regulatory and compliance requirements applicable to a multi-jurisdictional Marketing business including in respect of:
- Anti-bribery and corruption
- Market conduct requirements
- Sanctions and counter-terrorism financing
- Interaction with regulators in multiple jurisdiction
- Strategic input on new business activities and projects
- Licensing and regulatory requirements for physical and derivatives trading
- Regulatory reform relating to OTC derivatives trading (Dodd Frank, EMIR, MiFID 2 and equivalent requirements in other relevant jurisdictions)
Other key responsibilities will include:
- Designing and implementing a compliance framework to reflect the business activity conducted and to ensure compliance of future planned activities. Assessing and responding to the Company’s business imperatives and risk appetite.
- Overseeing internal investigations with compliance or regulatory implications. Preparing a response plan to deal with regulatory enquiries and managing the operational and strategic response to external criminal or regulatory investigations.
- Developing a strategy to lead external engagement on regulatory and compliance matters to support broader Company external engagement plan/strategy.
- Engaging in internal advocacy to raise awareness of regulatory and compliance risk, and the Company’s risk mitigation strategies and control
- Working closely with commercial teams to provide timely and appropriate advice in connection with commercial transactions, projects and strategy development.
- Supporting the internal Compliance team to provide effective operational compliance oversight and monitoring. Participating in risk assessments and proactively engaging with key commercial and functional stakeholders.
- Providing reports in respect of provision of services at a frequency and level of detail required by Head of Legal – Marketing or Group General Counsel. Where required, participate in briefings of General Counsel, BU management and other stakeholders.
- Provide leadership to, and develop the performance of, your team in line with the Group’s policies and systems (e.g. performance management, talent management) in order to achieve business goals.
- Identify gaps in policy & system design, implementation or execution that are negatively impacting on your team or their performance and initiate action to address these issues, considering the impact on suppliers and customers.
The Ideal Candidate
- Similar functional experience of international commodity trading, (physical and paper) preferably gained in-house within a large multinational commodities company
- Strong practical understanding of global trading regulatory requirements coupled with commercial acumen to identify/mitigate risk. Ability to translate business events into pragmatic models/systems
- Demonstrated record of managing other attorneys/lawyers and ability to engage cross functional internal stakeholders
- Well developed organisational, interpersonal, analytical, technical and problem-solving skills
- Minimum 10 year PQE, qualified as solicitor in England and Wales or other relevant common law jurisdiction such as Singapore, Australia or Canada. Knowledge of mining law advantageous but not essential
About the Job Offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people.
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please click the link below and complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
Note to all applicants: Please note the location of this role before applying. It is expected that this role would be filled, in the first instance, on a local employment contact basis with local terms and conditions. Any offer would be conditional upon the successful candidate having the required work permit issued by the regulatory authority of the country where the role is based. Minimal relocation support may be offered to the successful candidate, which would be limited to right to work and settlement assistance. International Assignment terms and conditions will not be offered.
No relocation assistance provided.
Closing date: 21 October 2019, 11:55 pm China Standard Time
Advertised: China Standard Time
Applications close: China Standard Time
Back Apply now