- Job Number:
- Business Unit / Group Function:
- Group Finance
- Work type:
- Full Time Permanent
- Singapore Office
About Anglo American
Anglo American is a global diversified mining business. As a responsible miner – of diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore, coal and nickel – we are the custodians of what are precious natural resources. Our portfolio of world-class mining operations provides the metals and minerals that make modern life possible. We use innovative practices and the latest technologies to discover new resources and mine, process, move and market our products to our customers around the world whilst ensuring rigorous safety standards are demonstrated. Our global Marketing business unit headquartered in Singapore ensures that we sustainably maximise cash flows from the marketing of Anglo American’s products and services.
About the role
You will be responsible for supporting the management of legal risks and opportunities associated with Anglo American’s marketing business (excluding De Beers) and also for providing legal support to other work of the department within his/her fields of professional competence.
Other key responsibilities will include:
- Report to client on a regular and consistent basis in relation to progress, costs and issues arising and obtain approval for material decisions in all matters in which the role holder is the lead lawyer. Update the Group Legal reports comprehensively and accurately as-and-when material developments occur or monthly, whichever is the more frequent. Where required, participate in briefings of General Counsel, BU management and other stakeholders.
- Manage the provision of legal services by external lawyers and law firms in a cost-effective manner,
- Working with the Head of Group Legal Operations and the Head of Legal: Marketing, collaborate to develop processes, procedures and strategies for managing legal risk in relation to marketing legal risk.
- Working with the Head of Group Legal Operations and the Head of Legal: Marketing, collaborate to develop playbooks and processes for optimising Group Legal’s delivery in relation to the Anglo American Group’s marketing business legal activities.
- Manage client relationships to deliver high quality/timely advice to the Anglo American Group in relation to its marketing business legal activities.
- Identify key legal risks and opportunities associated with the Anglo American Group’s marketing business legal activities. Manage provision of internal and external legal services and provide legal advice in a cost-effective manner.
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant experience and proven track record in drafting and negotiating international commodity sales contracts in bulks, precious metals and LME products (Incoterms, SCoTA, SIOTA), including shipping terms for bulks and containerised vessels.
- Experience of financially-settled derivative activities (on-exchange and OTC)
- Knowledge of anti-trust and sanctions issues in commodity contracts
- Commercial understanding of consequences of legal scenarios/decisions
- Strong technical ability as a lawyer, including excellent, precise drafting ability
- Apply commercial judgment to translate strategies into integrated operational plans with clear and challenging milestones and goals
- Experience in a major international or regional law firm or as an in-house lawyer in a multinational, relevant professional certifications and qualifications
About the Job Offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people.
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please click the link below and complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
Note to all applicants: Please note the location of this role before applying. It is expected that this role would be filled, in the first instance, on a local employment contact basis with local terms and conditions. Any offer would be conditional upon the successful candidate having the required work permit issued by the regulatory authority of the country where the role is based. Minimal relocation support may be offered to the successful candidate, which would be limited to right to work and settlement assistance. International Assignment terms and conditions will not be offered.
No relocation assistance provided.
Closing date: 21 October 2019, 11:55 pm China Standard Time
Advertised: China Standard Time
Applications close: China Standard Time
Back Apply now