ANGLO AMERICAN’S METALLURGICAL COAL BUSINESS, MIDDLEMOUNT, QLD
Anglo American is a leading global mining company and our products are the essential ingredients in almost every aspect of modern life. Our portfolio of world-class competitive mining operations and undeveloped resources provides the metals and minerals that enable a cleaner, more electrified world and that meet the fast growing consumer-driven demands of the world’s developed and maturing economies. With our people at the heart of our business, we use innovative practices and the latest technologies to discover new resources and mine, process, move and market our products to our customers around the world – safely, responsibly and sustainably.
As a responsible miner – of diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum group metals, iron ore, coal and nickel – we are the custodians of what are precious natural resources. We work together with our business partners and diverse stakeholders to unlock the sustainable value that those resources represent for our shareholders, the communities and countries in which we operate, and for society as a whole. Anglo American is re-imagining mining to improve people’s lives.
At Anglo American, we promote an inclusive and diverse environment where every colleague is valued and respected for who they are, and has the opportunity to fulfil their potential. We encourage all suitable applicants to apply for vacancies, including women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
Geotechnical Engineer – Capcoal Surface Operations
The Geotechnical Engineer is a key member of the Technical Services Team and assists the site in all strata control matters. The Geotechnical Engineer’s technical expertise helps the Technical Services Team to develop geotechnical sound mine designs, which enable the depletion of the deposit in a safe and productive manner. A key aspect of the Geotechnical Engineer’s work is the gathering of geotechnical data in the field and from exploration drilling; and to make this data readily available to other members of the Technical Services Team.
The Geotechnical Engineer also assists the Mine Production Teams in managing geotechnical hazards on site. This includes the investigation of the hazards and the development of risk mitigation strategies in line with the site’s Principal Hazard Management Plan.
As a visible leader of the work place the Geotechnical Engineer promotes the Anglo American’s safety culture when interacting with the workforce and increases the awareness of geotechnical hazards through transparent decision making and positive communication.
In your role you will assist the Technical Services Manager in developing and implementing best practice strata control systems, including:
- Becoming proactively involved in the development of mine designs by sharing geotechnical expertise with the Technical Services Team
- Providing geotechnical service to site as per Service Level Agreement
- Providing timely and geotechnically sound stability assessments of mine designs at LOM, MPD, MAD and MAD Revision stage
- Gathering and geotechnical data through wall mapping and exploration logging and sampling
- Assisting the site’s geology team in developing and executing the site’s exploration programs including geotechnical sampling and logging
- Developing and maintaining geotechnical databases for rock mass strength, defect strength and defect mapping
- Developing and maintaining the Ground Control Hazard Plans and Geotechnical Domains based on the most up to date geological and geotechnical data
- Adopting a Rock Mass Rating system for the site
- Performing pit reconciliations and pit floor sign-off to ensure sufficient floor treatment for future dump stability
- Actively involved in Critical Control Effectiveness (CCE) audit
- Managing geotechnical consultants/contractors on site
- Assist site to achieve 100% compliance with the Anglo Operational Management System
This is a Full Time; Monday to Friday position based in Middlemount; with subsidised housing and or FIFO options for the right candidate.
To apply online visit www.angloamerican.com.au and quote the relevant reference number.
Ref No: 731100
Applications close 26 September 2019
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to closing date – applications may also close before this date.
Anglo American’s Metallurgical Coal Business does not accept applications from Recruitment Agencies.