Modelling and Simulation Engineer/ Specialist
- Job Number:
- Business Unit / Group Function:
- De Beers Group
- Work type:
- Permanent Employee
ABOUT DE BEERS TECHNOLOGIES, SOUTH AFRICA:
We believe in helping. We help our customers and stakeholders - the De Beers Group of companies, the Anglo American operations and beyond. As importantly, we help each other internally. Our ability to help outside comes from the strength formed internally by teamwork, communication and mutual support. We believe that quality help, whether in the normal course of the day or in times of crisis, is the best way towards being a better professional, greater personal satisfaction and to making sure we all work for a respected organization. We do this through technology. We are excited about the possibilities, known and unknown, that the exploration of new ideas can reveal. We believe that technology, imaginatively conceived, professionally developed, appropriately applied and consistently supported, maintained and improved is the best way we can deliver all the help we want to give.
Do you want to help us? Then we would like to encourage you to consider the following exciting opportunity.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
De Beers Group Technology (South) supports and improves the upstream operations of the De Beers Group by the design, development and supply of diamond industry-specific technology. Many of these technology solutions are founded in a deep understanding of the underlying technology. In part this achieved by developing mathematical and process models that assist in the product development and application optimisation. This knowledge and experience leads to an innovative approach to problem solving and is an important input into all phases of a product’s metamorphosis from idea to commercial application. Our deep understanding is often viewed by our customers as an important differentiating factor when comparing our technology offerings to our competitors.
The Modelling and Simulation Engineer will be involved in the development and optimisation phases. The role supports engineering design solutions through mathematical modelling techniques to satisfy the requirements of De Beers Group Technology’s development and business improvement projects
Please refer to the attached job description for further information:
DBGS Advert - Modelling Simulation Engineer Dec 2019.pdf
- Minimum qualification is an appropriate Masters Degree or equivalent.
The following will be advantageous:
- Experience in one or more of the following simulation and modelling tools: CFD, DEM, FEA.
- A passion for analytical and modelling technologies.
- Exposure to programming languages and environments such as Python, Java, and MATLAB.
- Exposure to a product research and development environment.
- High degree of self-motivation, energy, ownership and proactivity.
- Persevering, resilient and tenacious.
- See opportunities in difficult situations.
- Eager, curious, unselfish, genuine, patient and accountable.
- Have a passion for technology, with a keenness to learn and develop.
Knowledge and Technical Skills specific to the role:
- Detailed knowledge of simulation and modelling concepts, practices and procedures.
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills.
- General engineering knowledge in a product R&D environment.
Skills required for role:
- Attention to detail.
- Co-operation, communication and collaboration skills that promote effective teamwork
- Organising, planning, and monitoring in a dynamic R&D environment
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Due to the nature of the work, your employment application is subject to a police clearance and it is a condition of employment that you be cleared by the Security Department of De Beers Group Services and that you retain this security clearance.
- This role may require the individual to be classified as a “Radiation Worker”.
- In the event that you are presently employed within the De Beers Group of Companies, please inform your immediate line manager of your intention to apply.
- Consideration will be given to the Company’s Employment Equity Policy.
- Closing Date: 24 January 2020, 11:55 pm SA Standard Time.
Advertised: South Africa Standard Time
Applications close: South Africa Standard Time
Back Apply now